Monday, July 17, 2006

Me & My Blogs: Part 3

My first blog came to be named Technicolor Day. I guess now is as good of a time as any to explain my whole name thing.
My parents named me Michelle Renee (with a little French thingy over the second e), but I was always "Shelly". My mom explained to me that she wanted me to have an 'official sounding name' if I ever wanted to be a doctor or lawyer or something. Good call, mom, I know or have heard of plenty of silly sounding named people trying to be taken seriously. I however, have never found it difficult to be taken seriously as Shelly or Shell (or even shells), but I think it's cool to have a bonus name. Especially with a great Beatles song, and a cool French middle name. Anyway, I digress...
In my college broadcasting career, I saw that most of the DJ's didn't use their real name. At times, I think it was from embarrassment over actually being on the college radio station for some, but also for privacy. So I went about thinking up my 'radio name'. One of the other gals used her middle name as her first name, and made up a fake last name (in some states she still goes by this alias), so that got me thinking about using my cool middle name. So I switched my middle and first names, with a slight twist on my first name to make a 'real' sounding last name, and viola! Renee Mitchels was born.
I have always played around with the color of my hair, and more so in the college years, so it was likely at this time to see me in different hair colors every month, or even week. At one point, someone (and the very cool part is that I'm pretty sure it was The G, my good friend in college, my BFF and life partner now) introduced me as "Renee Mitchels, Your Technicolor DJ". I loved it! I always used the whole phrase after that.
Fast forward...Me trying to come up with a name for my new blog...thinking back to college days and cool radio names...I thought at first that I wanted to sign my posts with "Renee Mitchels, Your Technicolor Blogger". But playing around with the whole technicolor theme, I decided my blog would be named "In Technicolor". It would be like a 70's sitcom (which my life often is) and they proudly, and often musically, announced the show was "in Technicolor". I thought that would be cool.
Well, you know what they say about the best laid plans of mice and men or some such. The name was taken. Thinking fast, I temporarily, or so I though, changed it to Technicolor Day. My few fellow bloggers that I shared my name delema with, all agreed they liked that name better. So it stuck.

No comments: